Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Both Sides Of The Story

It's far too easy in this world to generalize, compartmentalize and stereotype others. A prime example of this is the ongoing debate about public employees.

In the face of those who attempt to portray all government workers as irresponsible and sponging off the taxpayer's money comes this stinging retort from the wife of a federal law enforcement professional:

Do you remember the last time you were zapped while scaling an electric fence chasing a criminal illegal alien because you needed to deport him? Oh, you’ve never done that? Well, my husband has. Where did you spend Christmas ’05? My husband spent his working a double shift. Yes, he got paid overtime. Many in the private sector get overtime for that too.

I also have a loved one who works as a social worker for the state. She worked her way through college for the masters degree required to do her job. She lives in a lovely mobile home park not far from here, but we don’t get to see her much. She’s very busy.

(T)he fight for smaller government has led to many using a ridiculously broad brush on federal employees (and public school teachers and law enforcement), and I just can’t be any part of it. Mainly because every time I read this stuff feels like getting slapped in the face.

I take comfort in my caviar and luxury car’s soft Corinthian leather. Just kidding. My car doesn’t have leather seats, but it does have 130,000 miles and a squeak that’s getting louder and louder.


It's always good to hear both sides of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment